[Sca-cooks]Fountains was: Casa Bardicci Subtlety Contest

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 24 14:05:59 PDT 2005

Circumstances prevented me from seeing this exhibit in person,
but I did buy the catalogue. This fountain appears on page 87 in the 2004
volume titled  Art from the Court of Burgundy.

 From the entry there--

"Originally, the fountain stood in a large catch basin. Water, pumped
through
a central tube, emerged at the top through a series of nozzles (shaped
as animals
and drolleries) in jets that forced the rotation of the wheels and rang
the tiny bells.
The water gradually cascaded from one level to the next through gargoyle
heads,
only to refill the catch basin for another cycle.

The suggestion that such fountains were intended to be used for
banqueting tables
is not supported by the evidence. Inventories do not refer to these
objects as
"table" fountains and contemporary minatures of banqueting scenes do not
depict
such objects. They are generally associated with rose water. It seems
more likely
that, secondarily to their interest as objects of entertainment, they
were intended
to serve as room scenters mounted on tripods or small side tables. "  S.N.F.

There appears to be this 40 plus page article on it.
Fliegel, Stephen N. "The Cleveland Table Fountain and Gothic Automata,"
Cleveland Studies in the History of Art. 2002 v.7.   pp. 6-49.

That article might be a starting point for more research. Looking up
automata as well as fountains might also be helpful. I'll see if I can find
some books too.

Johnnae

I would love to learn more about how period fountains worked.
Does anyone have any recommendations for good books on the subject?

Faerisa