[Sca-cooks] 1000 Eggs question

Cindy Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Thu Aug 25 08:27:50 PDT 2005

Hello,

Most of those recipes call for the same step. If you read a bit
further, the next instruction is generally to rub  the entire mess
through a strainer to remove the tough hulls that the initial boiling
loosened. The end result of the cooking and straining process is a
uniform pea mush that we then doctor with almond milk or whatever.

The peas they were using were not our tender petit pois, nor were they
the type now found as split peas. Thanks to the pea plant's tendency to
'run into varieties' (remember Mendel?) they varied in color and size;
but they were generally tough. Hence the long  cooking and processing
needed to make them edible; and the joy with which petit pois were
welcomed when they were finally developed and imported.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
part-time maniac and author of Take 1000 Eggs