[Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 26 21:21:04 PDT 2005

otsisto wrote:

>This was the site I found it on but the link is broken.
>http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics/cook.htm

I was able to access it through the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/19990504034243/http://www.galandor.org/archives/avaristravels/basquechicken.asp

It's from the website of the Kingdom of Galandor, part of the Empire of
Chivalry & Steel

The recipe says:

--- begin quoted text ---

*_

Basque Chicken

_*

This is from the notes of Vidal du Baton Malaxatxevarria

1 fryer chicken
2 cloves garlic, put through press
Olive oil
1 small can pimentos, sliced
1 cup mushrooms
2 tbsp. Snipped parsley
¼ cup dry white sherry
Salt and pepper to taste

Pour olive oil in frying pan, add garlic and chicken, fry until brown.
Add all ingredients _except sherry_,_ _and sauté, turning frequently,
for several minutes.

Add sherry, cover pan, and cook slowly until chicken is tender. Stir
occasionally, add liquid if needed.

----- end quoted text ----

I don't know who Vidal du Baton Malaxatxevarria is, though the last part
is a Basque surname.  My guess is that this is a traditional Basque
recipe of unknown age.  It has no blatantly OOP ingredients.  The
Atlantias MOAS page has links to all kinds of recipes, from documentably
medieval to medievalish to "traditional" to blatantly modern.

Happy cooking!

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom