[Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Aug 27 05:01:17 PDT 2005

On Aug 27, 2005, at 2:28 AM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- Robin <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> I don't know who Vidal du Baton Malaxatxevarria is, though the
>> last part
>> is a Basque surname.  My guess is that this is a traditional Basque
>> recipe of unknown age.  It has no blatantly OOP ingredients.  The
>> Atlantias MOAS page has links to all kinds of recipes, from
>> documentably
>> medieval to medievalish to "traditional" to blatantly modern.
>>

> Ummmm ... Pimentos are New World ...
>
> Huette

I believe that Brighid referred to them as, essentially, not
blatantly non-period. And this is a Spanish recipe, after all, but
capsicums of all sorts do appear to have been in use somewhat earlier
in parts of Southern Europe than, say, in England. My suspicion is
that Brighid knows full well they're New World, and was admitting to
some possibility, even if less likely, that they were used anyway.

It looks to me (more or less a half-awake lurker these days; even my
SCA time has been interesting lately) that in the absence of actual
period Basquaise recipes, a modernish one in what is now a
recognizably Basque style has been given, one which contains
ingredients that might conceivably have been used prior to 1601.

NB on pimientos: in some recipes these are allspice, which are also
New World. Sometimes you have to look carefully to figure out which
one is intended.

  Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782