[Sca-cooks] Paging Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra!

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 21:20:13 PDT 2005

[Lengthy response, but I hope it is worth the read...]

Olwen, one of my friends (HL Suzanna the Herbalist) stepped on my line with
"They caught you now" (paraphrase here!), to which I replied, in essence,
"What did I do this time?"

His Excellency, Qadi Mahdi, current Baron of the Steppes, replied to the
effect of what *hadn't* I been seen doing, at one time or place, quietly
serving others.  (My interjection into this re-telling: sometimes not so
quiet -- I'm a voice herald and bard -- but yeah, that's about right. I'm a
bit of a generalist...)  The main thing I remember other than that was to
make sure I was displaying the nifty bit o' illuminated certificate, that
comes with the dangly insignia, to the gathered populace.  Done, and gladly
so!

I was NOT expecting this -- quite.  But I wasn't particularly surprised,
either.

There is an additional part of this story that I want to share -- and NOT
NOT NOT because of any bitterness or concern about delays on my own part.
(It took over 13 years from being a founder of the Shire of Moonschadowe
until my AoA was received -- a fair amount of which I was admittedly
inactive, due to mundane considerations.  The Sable Crane came to me in
another twelve, and I DID NOT have to have this reminder to keep doing what
I do.  It *is* nice to be noticed sometimes, though.)  No, it's as a general
reminder to all of us who participate in the SCA that sometimes there are
people who go unnoticed for a while -- and to record something that was,
well, just darn neat in my opinion.  I *will* admit that I was expecting
that something might happen at Steppes Artisan, and had made an extra effort
to be at the event -- but that gets ahead of the story.

It all went something like this:  Robin of Gilwell (Pelican, Laurel, White
Scarf, Lion of Ansteorra, etc.), currently serving as Oakenwald Pursuivant
[and still one-half of the Arm Militant of the Ansteorran College of Heralds
AFAIK], is running a "Kindergarten of Heralds" series of lectures / classes.
We were up to the session covering the Awards and Precedence of Ansteorra.
I'd gone to lend support, and see what may have occurred recently that I
needed to update in my personal knowledge base.  I have, after all, been
participating only as circumstances allow for the last four years or so, and
six months of that was in Aethelmarc.
  <f/x: waving a big HELLO to Odriana and the rest of the crew in BMDL>

It came the time in the class for a bit of "hands-on" demonstration of how
precedence can be applied, and to do that of course one needs to know _what_
awards the participants have, establish _when_ they were received (in order
to "break" any ties), along with related minutiae primarily of interest to
heralds but pertinent to the line-of-march.  My turn came around, and in
effect I said that I held only a simple Award of Arms, but use the
culturally-equivalent "al-Sayyid" instead of "Lord".

I don't think I've ever seen quite as much astonishment on a Peer's face as
I did on Robin's face that night, when I stated that all I held was an
AoA... (To be completely honest, I amended that slightly a few minutes
later, relating that I also already held a non-armigerous baronial service
token which carries no precedence, the Acorn of the Steppes.)

I didn't see Mahdi's face [he who was, the last I checked, the other half of
the Arm Militant of the Ansteorran CoH -- Obligatory food content: Mahdi was
once involved in a scroll presentation where the scroll was written on a
<real> banana], but I heard something in his voice that seemed to have a
similar implication.

Nothing else was particularly said that evening about my history &
accomplishments, or even in my presence at any other time before the event,
but I had a certain feeling that I should be there...

That's the story the way I'm gonna tell it, anyway.  "Truth, if not
necessarily adorned by a capital T."

Amra
Kitchen Idiot of the Cathedral of the Cheesey Salamander