[Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 28 08:49:17 PDT 2005

The whaling station is 16th Century.  There is evidence that the Basque
whalers may have reached Iceland by 1412 and possibly were in Labardor
before Columbus arrived in the New World.  There is speculation that
Europeans have been fishing the Grand Banks since the late Neolithic, but
the evidence is a little stronger for the Bretons and some other European
fishermen fishing the Banks beginning about the 12th Century.  To my
knowledge, none has been proven.

The speculation is the Basque began moving out into the Atlantic between the
12th and 15th Centuries due to intensified whaling and over harvesting in
the Bay of Biscay.

Bear