[Sca-cooks] body piercings

Woodrow Hill asim at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 29 06:56:38 PDT 2005

On 8/29/05, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if body piercings were practiced by any of the
> cultures we study? I know that the Church frowned upon tattoos, so
> they were not very common, and I imagine that the Church would say
> the same thing about piercings. I do have some info on ear rings for
> both males and females in period, but I'm thinking of other parts of
> the body.

The Dervish sects apparently did so:

(300k woodcut period image on page, but NOT work-safe)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/asim/74118.html

And yes, this is the only example I have.  Just ignore the rest of my
blathering, but there's some interesting discussion in the comments
about Indian piercings, as well.

> Stefan

---asim