[Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 29 22:31:29 PDT 2005

Brighid ni Chiarain mentioned:
> Mark
> Kurlansky, in "Cod: a biography of the fish that changed the world",
> says that in the Middle Ages, Basque fishermen were catching, salting,
> and selling large quantities of cod and whale.

Yes, I found that to be a very interesting book. I highly recommend
it. There are numerous recipes in it, but I think I remember that a
lot of them are not as well documented as I would have liked.

One of his hypothesizes that I found interesting was the the Basque
actually found North America long before Columbus did. They were
probably getting a lot of their cod (I think) off Newfoundland. But
the salting (or drying?) couldn't be done on shipboard so would have
had to have been done on nearby land. since the location of these
fisheries was an important trade secret, they kept their knowledge of
the New World to themselves.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas