[Sca-cooks] haggis?

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue Aug 30 14:04:07 PDT 2005

> 90% of the bad haggises I've encountered over the years have been
> made with insufficient salt and pepper. It's a floggin' sausage, and
> should be aggressively seasoned. Fresh-ground pepper is best. Also,
> my experience is that it is insanity to leave out the suet. Steer
> clear of the recipes that don't use them; it's not like leaving it
> out will make a low-cholesterol product; it's just a drier, slightly
> lower-cholesterol product.

Another common cause of Bad Haggis is the use of the wrong kind of
oats-- ie rolled or flaked oats rather than steel-cut oats.  The right
oats make it lightish, slightly dryish, and slightly crumbly.  The wrong
oats make it solid, heavy, and gooey.

I agree on the seasoning-- salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper,
plus a little nutmeg or mace, or if you're inclined that way, a little
allspice.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,