[Sca-cooks] haggis?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 21:50:38 PDT 2005

Cailte asked:
> i may find myself entering a haggis cooking competition,
> if the autocrats indeed go through with it.  (throw down a
> gauntlet at ME, will ye!?!?!?!) 8)
>
> anyone got any tried and true recipes?  i know the alton
> brown recipe, and several similar, but usually see
> 'spices' in the recipe as opposed to exactly what spices.

But are you looking for period recipes? Or the "traditional" ones?

Haggis is a lot like kilts. You have to be careful about what is
period and more recent. Both seem to get more interest now than they
did in period.

You can find both some period and traditional haggis recipes in this
file, as well as some commentary on canned haggis (it's generally to
be avoided). Also I seem to remember that a number of the period
haggis recipes I have are actually more vegetarian than meat.

haggis-msg        (94K) 10/25/01    Scottish haggis recipes. comments
on haggis.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/haggis-msg.html

>  now, i know what you put in scrapply, but that's a
> different animal...  literally, i guess.

Well, a bit more complex than scrapple.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas