[Sca-cooks] just a note from Turkey Day-

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Dec 1 14:54:47 PST 2005

Most of our Thanksgiving meal (both Thursday and Friday, when we have the
BIG party) was the standard stuff- turkey, dressing, potatoes, etc. But I
thought y'all might be interested in a teeny addition that I made that
turned out wonderfully.

I added some saffron to the pumpkin pies.

Being as how there were no turbanned dukes expected, I added a fairly
generous amount. (How much? Uh... a gob. Loose bundle of threads about the
size of a grape). I ground it in the mortar with the salt for the recipe,
worked it until most of the threads were broken up and the salt was pink.
Then added it with the rest of the spices.

The result was incredibly rich-tasting, and I was very sorry that the pies
went away so quickly. I could have eaten it all myself! (I think Mr Picky
ate most of the leftovers- I heard him rummaging about in the night...)

'Lainie