[Sca-cooks] Winter (?) comfort food...

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Fri Dec 2 16:18:37 PST 2005

In a message dated 12/2/2005 11:16:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
phlip at 99main.com writes:

> One of my favorites is ham, green beans, and potatoes

While I agree this is comfort food....we never eat it in the winter!  It's
the meal made with the first green beans from the garden..and my father used to
dig up the tiny red potatoes to go with it!   Hmmm...never thought to use some
of those beans in the freezer to make this in winter!
  What I do for winter is to brown beef short ribs and then put them to stew
in water and a dark red wine for a long while, then I add root veggies (mostly
carrots and parsnips..the family isn't keen on turnips in this) and whatever
herbs strike my fancy.  A loaf of "homemade" bread from the bread machine and
we are good to go!

Etain