[Sca-cooks] Winter (?) comfort food...

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 2 16:49:42 PST 2005

> While I agree this is comfort food....we never eat it in the winter!
>  It's the meal made with the first green beans from the garden..and
> my father used to dig up the tiny red potatoes to go with it!
>  Hmmm...never thought to use some of those beans in the freezer to
> make this in winter!  What I do for winter is to brown beef short
> ribs and then put them to stew in water and a dark red wine for a
> long while, then I add root veggies (mostly carrots and
> parsnips..the family isn't keen on turnips in this) and whatever
> herbs strike my fancy.  A loaf of "homemade" bread from the bread
> machine and we are good to go!
>
> Etain

Well, green beans are pretty much my favorite vegetable, so any way I can
have an excuse to eat them is usually a Good Thing ;-)

Although Rob tried to do me in on them like he did with broccoli a while back
(if you remember, he served steamed broccoli, which used to be one of my
favorites, as the vegetable for two weeks straight. Now, I can barely eat
it.) Anyway, while R&M were gone for T'day, I figured I'd make up a couple
dishes that they don't like and pig out. One was Jannsen's Temptation (they
both hate anchovies), and the other was the much maligned green bean/mushroom
soup/ ff onion casserole (M's deathly allergic to mushrooms, so we don't even
have them in the house, usually- I go to events, and scarf all the 'shrooms
the cooks will let me have). Because of her allergy, I had to get them eaten
before she got back- I even kept the casserole outside in the covered bbq
grill to keep cold, so she wouldn't risk running into them in the fridge- but
that meant I had to eat 2 lbs of green beans (size of the recipe for 1 can of
mushroom soup) in 3 days, which is rather a lot, even if you like them as
much as I do. Rob came home and cooked us up some steaks for dinner- with
green beans on the side...

Was a bit much, but it's taken us long enough to make him realize that I
really like them, that I ate them all, and didn't say a word- bless his
heart...

Phlip