[Sca-cooks] Apicius' polenta recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 7 23:12:36 PST 2005

niccolo difrancesco replied to Adamantius with:

As in a dish found in Apicius.  Fried Creamed Wheat (I've done it
with Creamof Wheat <TM> with pretty good results as well.)

These cakes from Apicius appeal to me as a simple dish that people in
southeastern US can relate to and still admit they are eating food
from 200
AD.  Fried mush where the mush is actually wheat instead of corn.
You can
translate it into corn polenta instead and make it still more
familiar, but
less Roman.  I plan to use it at a banquet this weekend and use a
blend of
semolina and coarse corn meal as my grains, chicken stock as my
liquid, and
butter, parmesan and a pinch of saffron as my seasonings.

Cook until very thick; cool; cut into diamonds or triangles; egg wash
and
breadcrumbs; fry until golden brown (I'll deep fry for convenience
sake).
They hold for 45 minutes to an hour with little quality drop.
<<<

Are there multiple recipes in Apicius for polenta? If there is only
one I may already have it. But if there are multiple recipes could
you give the recipe? I'm losing track of which are your modifications
and what Apicius originally calls for. Also, more detailed
instructions might help someone else in the future follow this recipe.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com