[Sca-cooks] Yule pot luck

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 23:01:34 PST 2005

Maire replied to a question about plans for Yule dinners:

Christmas? Not a ding-donged thing.

There's a small group of us (all SCA) without much in the way of genetic
family that have made a nice custom of going to one particular (and
wonderful) restaurant on Christmas Eve for several years now, but
unfortunately, the restauranteur has retired and the restaurant has
closed.
<<<

So, why not get your friends together and do a Yule pot luck? Or, if
they aren't cooks, perhaps they could buy the groceries and you could
cook the meal you are mentioning below? Or some combination of the two.

If I were planning a purely-theoretical Christmas dinner, though, I
Think I'd do venison with sauces.  And frumenty.  Or one of those
lovely,
rich, fruity dishes that show up in late-period cookbooks.
<<<

Which fruity dishes are these?

(Hmmm....that
gives me ideas for the work potluck in a couple of weeks....I sense
the need
to make Capon Cooked in Mrs Duffield's Way....mmmmmmm)
<<<

So, what is this "Capon Cooked in Mrs. Duffield's Way"? This is a
period recipe? The name reminds me of the post-period style of recipe
names.

Stefan
(Who probably won't even think about a Yule dinner menu or item(s)
until just a few days before it is needed.)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com