[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cheez Sammichez

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 16 18:52:36 PST 2005

OK, i never got around to making Mac 'n' Cheese - i used all my
lovely cheeses for a series of grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm sure i
didn't make them "right" - especially since over the course of
working my way through the loaf of bread i made them 4 different ways.

NOTE: i do not own a toaster, a toaster oven, or a microwave oven. I
do own a teflon coated griddle but i haven't tried it for grilled
cheese sandwiches.

I used a combination of mozzarella (best on the bottom of the other
cheeses, next to the bread), white cheddar, and smoked gouda. The
bread was a whole wheat, multi-seeded sandwich loaf.

- The first time, i put the bread covered with cheese open-face in a
buttered cast iron skillet and put the lid on so the bread would
brown and the cheese would melt.
- The second time i put the bread with the cheese on it open-face
under the broiler, and after the cheese melted, i put the closed
sandwich in the buttered cast iron skillet to brown.
- The third time i put the cheese-covered bread under the broiler and
after the cheese melted i closed the sandwich and left the under the
broiler to toast, turning it to toast both sides. I made my
sandwiches this a few times.
- The fourth way was to toast one side of both slices of bread first.
Then i put the cheese on it open-face to melt under the broiler.

Clearly the fourth way, which I only did it once with the last pair
of bread slices, is the simplest, most sensible way. I really prefer
the taste of the butter fried bread.

Additionally:

I squirted some Nathan's Famous mustard onto some of the sandwiches;
for others, i spread the bread with garlic-chipotle-mustard. Also,
after the cheese melted, but before closing up the sandwich, i
sprinkled the melted cheese with a pretty decent commercial brand of
hot curry powder. Mmm-mmm-mmm, mustard and spices.

I used up my mozzarella, white cheddar and smoked gouda at about the
same time as i used up the loaf of bread. Today i bought a new loaf
of bread - Oat Nut (whole wheat plus oats, and with sesame, poppy,
and sunflower seeds, and hazelnuts) and a new selection of cheeses:
mozzarella, a French blue, and fontina...

During the consumption of the first loaf of bread, i began wondering:
A. How do *you* make a grilled cheese sandwich?
B. What do you put on your grilled cheese sandwich, both cheese and add-ons?

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita