[Sca-cooks] Soupe du jour -- nota bene

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 20 17:46:17 PST 2005

Hullo, the list!

It turns out that, if you set out to make that Northern Chinese
chicken velvet and corn soup with egg flowers, you need to use
canned, cream-style corn in order to get it right. When I found I had
none, I made cream-style corn with just a little butter-and-flour
blonde roux, canned corn slightly blended in some of its canning
liquid to break up the kernels, and just enough cream (like a Tbs.)
to make the mixture lighter in color. How could it go wrong???

Well, the whole thing now tastes impossibly rich. What could canned
cream-style corn possibly have in it (maybe I didn't put in enough
polysorbate 80?) that I missed? Unless it's a cr at pload of sugar...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04