[Sca-cooks] Soupe du jour -- nota bene

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Tue Dec 20 18:08:28 PST 2005

> Hullo, the list!
>
> It turns out that, if you set out to make that Northern Chinese
> chicken velvet and corn soup with egg flowers, you need to use
> canned, cream-style corn in order to get it right. When I found I
> had  none, I made cream-style corn with just a little butter-and-
> flour  blonde roux, canned corn slightly blended in some of its
> canning  liquid to break up the kernels, and just enough cream (like
> a Tbs.)  to make the mixture lighter in color. How could it go wrong???
>
> Well, the whole thing now tastes impossibly rich. What could canned
> cream-style corn possibly have in it (maybe I didn't put in enough
> polysorbate 80?) that I missed? Unless it's a cr at pload of sugar...
>
> Adamantius

Cornstarch, rather than the butter and cream?

Heading to get a can of creamed corn...Big Y store brand...ingredients in
order on the can...corn,water,sugar,modified food starch, salt. For 1/2 cup,
it has 1 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 21
g total carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 9 g sugars, 2 g protein.

In case this helps any...

Phlip