[Sca-cooks] Soupe du jour -- nota bene

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 20 18:32:52 PST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 9:08 PM, marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

>> Well, the whole thing now tastes impossibly rich. What could canned
>> cream-style corn possibly have in it (maybe I didn't put in enough
>> polysorbate 80?) that I missed? Unless it's a cr at pload of sugar...
>>
>> Adamantius
>
> Cornstarch, rather than the butter and cream?
>
> Heading to get a can of creamed corn...Big Y store
> brand...ingredients in
> order on the can...corn,water,sugar,modified food starch, salt. For
> 1/2 cup,
> it has 1 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 400 mg
> sodium, 21
> g total carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 9 g sugars, 2 g protein.
>
> In case this helps any...

Well, okay. Thanks!

I knew the canned stuff didn't have the same proportions of the kind
of stuff I'd put in "creamed corn" or "creamed anything else" if I
were making The Real McCoy, but I didn't realize those things would
be totally absent. And I still think the sugar makes a big difference.

SWMBO came home and ate the soup without complaint. I asked if it was
all right, and she said, and I quote, "Hey, what do I know about
barbarian food?"

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782