[Sca-cooks] freezing butter

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 21 20:24:14 PST 2005

Adamantius commented a while back:
> I put butter on bread pretty infrequently, so it makes sense for me
> not to keep a dedicated, soft butter supply. Usually I'm taking it
> out of the fridge or even the freezer, so adding it to the pan works
> for me.

So, do butter and margarine freeze okay? For how long?

At the last moment I was cooking wafers for my baronies Yule Revel
pot luck last week. My wife was going to drive me to the grocery to
get any ingredients I was missing, but she wasn't feeling well. I now
have a restriction on my license which says no driving after dark.
So, I had most of the ingredients at home to make Johnnae's recipe
for wafers (usually I've used Hauviette's recipe), except no butter.

I ended up using olive oil since that is what Hauviette's recipe did
use, although I had to guess on the amount. I used 1/3 cup plus 1/2
that amount for 1 stick of butter.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I could freeze some butter or margarine for
future "emergencies".

>  I like a good piece of fried bread once in a while (olive oil's just
> as good as butter, if not better), with eggs and such...

I ended up making two batches, one using rose water for flavoring and
one using orange flavoring. The wafers seemed to go as fast as any of
the other desserts. At the end, there was only a piece of a broken
wafer left. The rose water ones did seem to disappear a bit faster
than the orange ones.

The main difference that I noted between using Hauviette's and
Johnnae's recipe was that Johnnae's wafers were more fragile.
Probably because the ratio of sugar was lower. They also stuck to the
iron more, but that may have been because of less oil being used than
was really needed, which is why I added the extra 1/6 cup which did
lessen the sticking.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas