[Sca-cooks] Bread baking for 12th Night

RUTH EARLAND rtannahill at verizon.net
Fri Dec 30 12:45:53 PST 2005

Background:
Brighid ni Chiaran (probably spelled wrong, but if you pronounce it, you'll
know who I mean) makes really good bread. Good bread as in "I've died and
gone to gluten heaven" bread.

Well, I'm planning on cooking 12th Night this year, and my feast is pushing
the budget window, so I was looking to save some money without compromising
any of the things I feel are important to a feast. Well, making bread was a
good way to save a hundred bucks or so, so make bread I've done. I'm pleased
to report it took a lot less time than I thought it might. Two days, 2
triple batches a day and I'm done.

I used Brighid's recipe. It isn't quite like Brighid's. The flavor is a bit
less assertive. I suspect I didn't let the starter mature enough. I waited
for it to reach its peak volume without starting to collapse, but I think I
might have done better sacrificing a little volume for that nice yeasty,
slightly sour flavor I like. But the texture is nice. A lot lighter than I
expected, though, which isn't necessarily a good thing. I like chewy bread.
My ideal bread would be something without a terribly crispy crust, but with
an interior that really gave the jaw muscles a workout. Something you tasted
for a good 15 minutes after you stopped eating it and that took half an hour
for the jaw muscles to stop letting you know they are there.

Yet, all things considered, I'm pleased. I think I got a superior product
than I could have bought in a store or a bakery, and I saved about a hundred
dollars, even figuring in freezer space.

So, Brighid, I baked bread and it didn't kill me. It still isn't as good as
yours. But it's better than what I would have had to buy if I hadn't tried
your recipe.

The timid adventurer,
Berelinde