[Sca-cooks] Bread baking for 12th Night

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 30 17:07:56 PST 2005

> Well, making bread was a good way to save a hundred bucks or so, so make
> bread I've done. I'm pleased to report it took a lot less time than I
> thought it might. Two days, 2 triple batches a day and I'm done.

How many loaves?

> I used Brighid's recipe. It isn't quite like Brighid's. The flavor is a
> bit less assertive. I suspect I didn't let the starter mature enough. I
> waited for it to reach its peak volume without starting to collapse, but I
> think I might have done better sacrificing a little volume for that nice
> yeasty, slightly sour flavor I like. But the texture is nice. A lot
> lighter than I expected, though, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Take about 1/4 of your total flour, 1/4 of your total water and all of your
yeast.  Proof the yeast in the water, then add the flour to form a dough.
Put the dough in container(s) to rise (be sure to leave enough room), cover
with plastic wrap, let stand for 24 hours.  Break the dough apart in the
remaining water and proceed as normal.

I like chewy bread.
> My ideal bread would be something without a terribly crispy crust, but
> with an interior that really gave the jaw muscles a workout. Something you
> tasted for a good 15 minutes after you stopped eating it and that took
> half an hour for the jaw muscles to stop letting you know they are there.

clipped>

> The timid adventurer,
> Berelinde

If you like chewy, use a sourdough starter.  If you want a soft crust, oil
the bread lightly before putting in tin the oven

Bear