[Sca-cooks] [OT] Dog biscuit recipe?

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 1 14:30:42 PST 2005

> Please don't include garlic! From the ASPCA website:
>
> OCTOBER - Onions, Garlic, Chives
> Did You Know
 Onions, garlic, chives and other species of the plant genus
> Allium can be potentially toxic to pets?
>
> Allium species contain sulfur compounds known as disulfildes, which
> if ingested in large quantities can cause gastrointestinal
> irritation and could even result in damage to red blood cells.
>  While cats are more sensitive to disulfides, dogs and other species
> of animals are also susceptible to Allium poisoning if enough plant
> material is consumed.  Therefore, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control
> Center advises companion animal owners to avoid feeding pets onions,
> garlic and other Allium plants.
>
> If you suspect that your pet may have ingested a potentially
> poisonous substance, before attempting any decontamination contact
> your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-
> 888-426-4435) immediately for assistance. To learn how to "Make Your
> Pet's Home Poison Safe" visit us at www.aspca.org/apcc. -Irmgart

Interestingly enough, when Stubby was in her final illness, I told my vet
about the only thing I'd gotten her to eat, a bit of sausage containing
garlic, and she said that many animals would eat a garlic flavored thing when
they wouldn't eat anything else.

I suspect garlic is like many other things in various species' diets. A
little bit isn't a problem, but a lot can be. I don't imagine that one or two
treats a day with a bit of garlic in them would hurt any critter- I'd be more
concerned with making sure my pets didn't dig up whole plants and eat them

Phlip