[Sca-cooks] Chestnuts - Revisited

Terri Morgan nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Fri Dec 2 02:07:13 PST 2005

   We roasted some (quite by accident, at first) at a demo that we attend
every year. Our firepit was close enough to a massive tree that a few
chestnuts made their way into the coals. They were quite tasty - but before
we learned that, we were dodging chestnut-missiles as they exploded from the
firebed. As far as I can tell, so long as they are relatively fresh, the
moisture inside of them is going to be enough to pop the shell open for you
(this might be why some recipes call for soaking them) and propel them with
some force.
   Make sure you have a covered pan that can release steam (we used a
popcorn-popping cast iron pan) and I hope your family enjoys the experience.
The taste is wonderful and for all that few of us had ever eaten "chestnuts
roasted on an open fire", we all agreed that somehow it touched a mutual
memory-chord.

Hrothny