[Sca-cooks] Chestnuts - Revisited

mollirose at bellsouth.net mollirose at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 2 01:30:47 PST 2005

Inspired to create a "new" experience for my mundane family I've ordered
chestnuts (in shell) for our Christmas Eve gathering. I've been reading up
on the subject and I'm baffled. Short of trying each method I'm confused as
to the best...doesn't have to be easiest...way to roast them. There are a
variety of methods including roasting outside "on an open fire", roasting in
a traditional oven, roasting on the stove in either a pierced or not pierced
pan, soaked first, not soaked, scored bottom, don't score the bottom.

Three pounds of these yummy morsels are pricey so I have to forgo
experimentation and pray for the best on Christmas eve.  No doubt we will
chalk this to the other bold cooking experiences my sister and I. Mom called
it "learning together can be fun", Dad called it "on the job training for
the local fire department".

Please, share your experiences and insights in roasting chestnuts. I would
so appreciate it. Thank you.

Molli Rose

P.S. I'm saving a pound to share with SCA family and friends.