[Sca-cooks] Chestnuts - Revisited

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 2 06:44:35 PST 2005

Hullo, the list!

Okay, so what do people do with chestnuts? Apart from the usual
roasted, or in stuffing?

I believe there's a brewet in either Taillevent or le Menagier (but
called "English") that calls for them, as well as some 14th-century
English recipes. I STR there's a recipe in Apicius that uses them in
a lentil dish that I liked.

More recently there's a modern Italian cake that involves baking
sweetened puree with pine nuts (I wanna say it's called castignacci,
but I'm not sure this is an accurate memory, and my books are all
over the place -- I mean big-time -- at the moment while we rearrange
furniture yet again). This might easily be period, although I have no
direct evidence, and it's been alleged that the modern French Mont
Blanc aux marrons has period Italian forebears. This last is
basically a mound of milled or "riced" chestnut puree, sweetened and
flavored with vanilla, then coated with whipped cream. Oddly enough
it also sometimes turns up on the menus of the finer Chinese
restaurants (usually without the whipped cream), and chestnuts also
appear in the fillings of various steamed rice dumplings roughly
corresponding to tamales.

Then there are candied chestnuts (not my fave), and chestnut flour
sometimes turns up around Passover one of the primary baking starches
for flourless cakes.

Chestnut ice cream is good, too, and I assume one could make a sort
of sweet-potato pie thingy with them, too. Polenta.

What have I left out?

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782