[Sca-cooks] reading at my house

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Dec 2 07:50:17 PST 2005

Here's the information again. I am sure that this is in a file for the
Florilegium. We've discussed this on the list before. Huette does
have a copy too.

Johnnae

The Ni'matnama Manuscript of the Sultans of Mandu
The Sultan's Book of Delights
Norah M. Titley

Publisher:

Routledge

ISBN:

041535059X

Pub Date:

Type:

Hardback Book

Price:

£65.00

Extent:

576 pages
(Dimensions 234X156 mm)

Illustrations:

197 b+w photos and 1 plate section

The Ni'matnama is a late fifteenth-century book of the recipes of the
eccentric Sultan of Mandu (Madhya Pradesh), Ghiyath Shahi, collected
and added to by his son and successor, Nasir Shah. It contains
recipes for cooking a variety of delicacies and epicurean delights,
as well as providing remedies and aphrodisiacs for the Sultan and his
court. It also includes important sections on the preparation of
betel leaves as well as advice on the logistics of hunting
expeditions and warfare. The text provides a remarkable and
tantalizing account of rarified courtly life in a fifteenth-century
Indian Sultanate region.

Contents:
1. Preface 2. Introduction 3. List and description of the
manuscript's illustrations 4. Facsimile of the manuscript including
colour inserts for illustrations 5. Translation of the manuscript 6.
Bibliography 7. Glossary 8. Index