[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

Jim Davis firedrake at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 2 10:32:01 PST 2005

I'm afraid my cold weather comfort food seems awfully plebian in this
company.

Good old Campbell's Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Best
on a night of thunderstorms and blowing winds.

(Yes, I really am from the South).  Of course, then there's fried egg
samwiches (has to be pronounced that way, per my father), sometimes
with fried bologna (not in my house) or ham stuck in the middle.

Cornbread (with a -little- sugar) -- lots of butter.  Or, start
several loaves of homemade "Jared" bread (my own cobbled-together
recipe) and leave them on the stove to rise, then the baking smell
FILLS the house.

Chicken and dumplings!  Yum! -- that's probably my closest to the
"throw it in the pot to simmer" favorite, although Selene made some
amazing Refrigerator or "Mustgo" soups over the years.

(Why in heaven's name do I find myself thinking of Nannie's black-
eyes peas and hamhocks?  Probably because she always served fresh
cornbread with it.)

Fresh, homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Jared
Getting hungry now, darn it.