[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Dec 3 22:29:28 PST 2005

>The soup mix sounds really tasty! ;o)

Well it SHOULD have been, but my friend stopped by on the way to the
store for a "short" trip.  I wanted cucumbers and went along.  When I
finally got home two hours later the poor soup was burnt to the pan,
even though I had it on the lowest simmer.  I salvaged the top half,
but it was smoky bean salad not soup.

>And you counter-inspired me...I now *know* I need to make bread on
>Sunday....yummmmm.

Neither the bread nor the stauben happened.  Didnt do any sewing
either.  Over all it turned into one of those days.

>--Maire, wondering what "stauben of apples" is....

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_veggie1.htm

42. Cut apples rather rough/ and make a dough thereto rather thick
  with wine/ put the apples therein/ and stir them well together/ that the dough
  goes through the apples. Take thereafter a pan with butter/ make it hot/
  and pull the apples therein with the dough/ and don't pull it all
into one pile/
  so that the butter can come between/ bake [fry] it quickly/ and turn
it often over/
  so it will be beautiful and lovely. Give it warm to the table/ and sprinkle it
  with white sugar. So bakes [fries] one the stauben of apples.

It sounds like apple funnel cake to me.  Google says that Stauben
means "make dust", perhaps in the sense of the sugar that dusts them.
I thought the wine batter sounded good, but havent picked up wine to
try it with yet.

Ranvaig