[Sca-cooks] Seeking More Cheese info

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 5 07:02:23 PST 2005

On Dec 5, 2005, at 9:25 AM, wildecelery at aol.com wrote:

> Somewhere out there...
>
> I've been told that it's in Menagier...there's a poem on buying
> cheese....
>
> Does anyone have a good  idea where i can find it in both French
> and English  9 Still wokring on my own period cookbook
> collection......

Well, it's here in English with an accompanying bit of somewhat
similar text (but not a direct translation) in Latin:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier.html

I found it by searching for the word "Magdalene", a word I know
appears in the verse and AFAIK, not too many other places in Le
Menagier.

> Also....
>
> I'm looking for a good, definitely period, main-dish recipe that
> incorporates cheese (specificall either generic cheese, or farmer's
> or fresh cheese ) as one of the main ingredients....

The mushroom pasties, also in Le Menagier, call for cheese, and some
(myself included) have interpreted this as a fair amount of cheese,
rather than as a seasoning.

Gotta watch out for that specifically generic cheese, though. It'll
getcha every time ;-)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782