[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Mon Dec 5 09:19:10 PST 2005

>Question: If you put maple syrup on it, are you allowed by
>International Law to call it polenta and not mush?
>
>Hey, I'm up for it in concept; don't get me wrong. My question is
>purely one of nomenclature.

I' 'spose. I dont care much either way.
I just love the soft creamy inside flowing out of the
crisp outsides, mixing with the melted butter and
maple...

You have a feeling inside like you are eating pancakes
and oatmeal at the same time... Damn I cant explain it.
its good. that's all

>I was talking to my mother about this yesterday, and she said that
>_her_ mother (she who had singlehandedly defeated a group of KKK
>riders -- well, walkers, maybe, with a broom and invective at twenty
>paces) used to make a thick macaroni soup from only milk, flour,
>butter, onion, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and a cooked macaroni product
>that resembled soda straws, like perciatelli, but with a larger
>diameter opening.

Wow, I will have to try that. Thanks for the idea.
No cheese in that? just a cream type soup?
wow. the nutmeg is inspired... If a judicious amount it
will round out the flavor profile nicely, but too much
might make it too, er, "noggy".  A light hand with it
would be key, expecially if fresh.

Have you made it? Any pointers?

>Ah, the healing power of bechamel... ;-)

Too true, too true.
Seems that bechamel is the most nurturing of the "mother
sauces".

I wonder what "motherly" attributes one might ascribe to
the others?

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)
Apprentice in the House of Silverwing

-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
It's killing me!!!

Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
You stand upon the ravage and behold
A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
For so appears this fleet majestical,
Holding due course to Harfleur.
  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue