[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 5 09:47:27 PST 2005

> I was talking to my mother about this yesterday, and she said that
> _her_ mother (she who had singlehandedly defeated a group of KKK
> riders -- well, walkers, maybe, with a broom and invective at twenty
> paces) used to make a thick macaroni soup from only milk, flour,
> butter, onion, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and a cooked macaroni product
> that resembled soda straws, like perciatelli, but with a larger
> diameter opening.
>
> Ah, the healing power of bechamel... ;-)

In my family it was simpler:  flat egg noodles with cottege cheese.
 Sometimes with sugar, sometimes with salt.  Lazy man's kugel, perhaps,
but that's my father's comfort food [between bouts of veganism] and he
passed it to me.

Hmmm, maybe there's something to that dairy-noodles thing cuz' if we're
gonna brag about kickass ancestors, I got a few stories... Dad boasts of
great-great called Varish [Barysz?], called by some The Polish Superman,
who picked up a heavy doubletree and took out attacking Cossacks in a
rage [number of Cossacks varies with the telling].  I'm still trying to
run that one down on the Internet but the spelling variants are making
it slow going.

Selene