[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon Dec 5 10:46:22 PST 2005

> >Actually, you can do the same thing with grits...and blackberry or damsen
jam are  even better than maple "surple" on it!

Ah, grits are best with butter and pepper ;-) Save the sweet stuff for
oatmeal.

> maybe...
> But as a native New Englander, real maple syrup (from
> trees and not a friggin' laboratory) is ingrained in my
> eating. I used it instead of vanilla and some of the
> sugar in a pumpkin cheesecake (in crushed oreo crust
> and topped with melted semisweet chocolate) this
> thanksgiving and it was well recieved.

Don't hafta be a native New Englander to appreciate real maple syrup,
although it helps you appreciate it at an early age.

And, one of my fondest memories as a child, was maple syruping in New
Hampshire, during the time I was in school there. Lotta hard work, but a
lotta fun. And, nothing ever tastes better than something you've helped make,
from tapping the trees and collecting the syrup, to sawing the wood slabs and
watching and maintaining the fire ;-) Of course, that was back in the days
when kids were allowed to have responsibilities. Nowadays, allowing kids 10-
11-12 to watch and feed a fire, and add sap as needed would no doubt be
considered child endangerment.

> I use maple syrup a lot. I am kind of an addict, I guess.

I'd likely use more, if it weren't so bloody expensive. And, I rather doubt
tapping the pine trees on R&M's property would produce the same results ;-)

> Grits are good, too... (if well done!)
> I like to mix my leftover grits, when there are any,
> into pancake batter. That's good too.
>
> -with maple syrup and butter! ;-)
> Sometimes topped with fresh blueberries
>
> Oh god! now I cant concentrate!

Thought you were doing an excellent job of concentrating...on food ;-)

> Capt Elias
> Dragonship Haven, East

My latest thing has been basic oatmeal, slathered in maple syrup, a bit of
nutmeg sprinkled on top, and blobs of real, plain yogurt on top, so you get a
spoonful of flavored oatmeal, and  a bit of yogurt on the spoon. Makes a
really nice flavor/texture contrast and blend ;-)

Phlip