[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 5 13:37:46 PST 2005

If you cut it in smaller pieces, dredge in breadcrumbs instead then fry,
and serve with a roast, you get an Apician dish that goes fabulously with
Prime Rib roast for the holidays!!

It ain't yorkshire pudding . . . and it is reminiscent of those fried potato
triangles you get at Arby's in the south USA.

niccolo difrancesco

Fried Cream of Wheat Triangles, I loved them!
I love the Arby's triangles, too - fried extra crispy - which is just about
done in my opinion.
Mashed potatoes are my number one comfort food.  I've been eating a lot of
Jamaican food recently and I've been introduced to boiled, mashed green
bananas.  These are regular bananas, not plantains, that are very green.
Cut out of the peels, chunked, boiled in salted water, mashed and served as
a starch.  Once they start going yellow (like, the day after you bring them
home green), they have a sweet taste to them that just makes it taste like
slightly sweet mashed potatoes, which is not what you want.  (When this
happened to me, I added curry powder which made it work just fine.)  All in
all though, they are very good with butter and salt, just like spuds.
So, we'll just say my favorite comfort food is smashed, buttered
carbohydrates.
Christianna