[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 5 19:11:34 PST 2005

As in a dish found in Apicius.  Fried Creamed Wheat (I've done it with Cream
of Wheat <TM> with
pretty good results as well.)

I do have that sort of embarrassed love for the triangled tater tots <vbg>.

These cakes from Apicius appeal to me as a simple dish that people in
southeastern US can relate to and still admit they are eating food from 200
AD.  Fried mush where the mush is actually wheat instead of corn.  You can
translate it into corn polenta instead and make it still more familiar, but
less Roman.  I plan to use it at a banquet this weekend and use a blend of
semolina and coarse corn meal as my grains, chicken stock as my liquid, and
butter, parmesan and a pinch of saffron as my seasonings.

Cook until very thick; cool; cut into diamonds or triangles; egg wash and
breadcrumbs; fry until golden brown (I'll deep fry for convenience sake).
They hold for 45 minutes to an hour with little quality drop.

niccolo difrancesco