[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 5 17:08:43 PST 2005

Jeff Gedney wrote:

>>The last time I was in PA, I was presented with a pound of real
>>scrapple by my hostess...
>>
>>Adamantius (who can buy bad scrapple or make decent scrapple here in
>>NY, but not buy good scrapple)
>>

>whny I was 17 and on a fishing trip with my dad, more
>years ago than I can manage to account for, we stopped
>at a little roadside place somewhere in Pennsylvania,
>where I had a wonderful scrapple.
>They also had what appeared to be a home made sausage
>that was finely textured, herby with a little pepper,
>and perfectly cooked, and big fluufy pancakes that
>were more souffle' than johnycake.
>
>We were never able to find it again. My dad theorized
>that it was the local version of Brigadoon, and we were
>doomed to never find it again, unless we could be pure of
>heart (which neither of us could manage in any way)
>
>Ever since then I have been unable to find anything that
>was not tasteless and greasy, and sometimes utterly
>horrid, with that rancid aftertaste.
>
>Someday, one day, I will have a decent scrapple again.
>
>Capt Elias
>Dragonship Haven, East
>(Stratford, CT, USA)
>Apprentice in the House of Silverwing
>
>-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
>- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
>There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
>the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
>It's killing me!!!

>Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
>Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
>To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
>Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
>Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
>Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
>You stand upon the ravage and behold
>A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
>For so appears this fleet majestical,
>Holding due course to Harfleur.
>  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue

Have you tried locating an Amish or Pennsylvania Dutch Farmers Market?
Typically you will find home made scrapple there.  You then slice it
thinly and fry it...usually with oil or, if you want, in a little bacon
drippings.  That's how my mom used to cook it.  I guess we were
lucky...we got it from my uncle and grandfather's farm when they
butchered hogs in November after the first frost.

Kiri