[Sca-cooks] Uses for fava beans....

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 5 17:26:29 PST 2005

There are a number of varieties of favas, some large, some small.  Pliny
comments on them.  Apicius has recipes.  Martino has recipes.  And, IIRC,
they appear in the inventory of one of Charlemagne's villas.  To quote
Martial, "...fava beans, the food of laborers,..." (10, 48); and "...pale
fava beans with rosy bacon." (5, 78).

>From a quick look at the evidence, fava beans were in common use from
Antiquity through the Renaissance.  They were an everyday food of commoners
and nobility (who have a number of recipes to improve them for the noble
palate).  The beans were planted in winter or early spring (being the first
pulse planted, Pliny), eaten fresh through the growing season and dried for
winter use.  Use wasn't seasonal, but the various dishes may have been
regional.

Bear