[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 6 09:03:22 PST 2005

I don't really have a winter comfort food. In winter i just long to be warm.

The closest i get is a good rich hot... is it cocoa or chocolate?

I used to use Droste's cocoa powder, but i've switched to Rapunzel
Organic - there's really a significant taste difference... (this is
unsweetened).

for a large mug:
a big huge heaping spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder
a lesser amount of sugar
stir them together
then while stirring, pour in hot whole milk - reduced fat just
doesn't cut it - or half-and-half if i have some
stir to mix well
then stir in a splash of orange flower water.

Curl up and sip slowly - keeps the hands warm - between sips, i press
the mug to my sternum to keep warm.

On other nights, i like to make Mexican hot chocolate - i chop up a
couple segments, put them in a sauce pan with whole milk, warm the
milk, stirring constantly to melt the chocolate. My favorite brand is
Ibarra (in the red and yellow package), but i have tried other brands
- and if i find the packages amusing, i save them. There was one that
had a really nice package - can't recall the name - but the box was
light blue with a painting of a sweet faced young nun holding out a
tray with traditional shaped mugs of hot chocolate... I've got that
box somewhere...

Yeah, i decorate my kitchen with empty ethnic food packages :-)
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita