[Sca-cooks] Yankees, Hash, and Beets, was and still is: Winter comfort food...

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Sun Dec 11 08:20:13 PST 2005

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

>Exploring our links to period ancestry, Maire stated:
>

>>--Maire, Artemisian descended from a long, long line of Yankies so old it's
>>almost period....who is now craving Red Flannel Hash.  And maple syrup,
>>although not on top of the hash. ;o)
>>

>Capt. Elias then gave us part of his pedigree:
>

>>I am also descended from a line of Yankees almost period...
>>The Gedneys came to Salem in 1640...
>>(We hung witches and everything! We were so fashionable! :-p )
>>

>Me too. I am the 13th generation of Seelye (or one of many variants in
>spelling) in North America. Capt. Robert Seeley (1602 - 1666) - Came to
>America 1630 - died on Long Island 10/19/1666.  My dad was named Robert
>Seelye as well.  (Oh, no - watch out, we're almost talking SCA time-period
>here - things really do always come back around to that, don't they?)

Don't know if it counts as a Yankee forefather, but my
great-great-great-great grandfather was Daniel Boone, first from
Pennsylvania, then later of Kentucky.

It's because of his sister(?), Sara, that there has been a Sara in every
generation since.  My sister is my generation.  The next generation's is
my youngest, Sara Danielle.

---
John Kemker

"Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to
command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit
the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these
editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but
didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place
to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a
newspaper." --Robert E. Lee