[Sca-cooks] Yankees, Hash, and Beets, was and still is: Winter comfort food...

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 7 08:50:07 PST 2005

LOL - ok, we've gone hopelessly OT, OOP (although we're coming back around
to it), and in the words of my late husband who was a geneology geek "One's
family history is rarely interesting to anyone but one's family".
If I had a good recipe from the old, old days to share from my family I
would, but I don't - so we should probably nip this here and get back to
talking about period cooking, whaddayasay?

:)

I'm reading through "This Good Food - Contemporary French Vegetarian Recipes
from a Monastery Kitchen" by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette,
1993, The Overlook Press, and found these quotes:

According to the Spanish proverb, four persons are wanted to make a good
salad: a spendthrift for oil, a miser for vinegar, a counsellor for salt and
a madman to stir it all up.

Abraham Hayward, "The Art of Dining"

and

We may live without poetry,
music and art;
We may live without conscience,
and live without heart;
We may live without friends, we
may live without books;
But civilized men cannot live
without cooks!

Edward Robert Bulwer, 1st Earl of Lytton

Christianna

Wow...this is all very fascinating.  I have information about my family, but
our roots are so diverse that it's hard to track all of them down.  Koogler
is anglicized German (Kugler), but wasn't done at Ellis Island...
<snip>
Kiri

> 	Same family as the Abilene Seeley's, but unfortunatley not my side of
> the family, so no chance I'll inherit the mansion!  (Not close enough to
the
> mattress Sealy's either, but still the same roots on the geneological
vine.)
> My paternal grandmother (Elizabeth MacGrayne)
<snip>