[Sca-cooks] Yankees, Hash, and Beets, was and still is: Winter comfort food...

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 7 08:27:55 PST 2005

Wow...this is all very fascinating.  I have information about my family, but our roots are so diverse that it's hard to track all of them down.  Koogler is anglicized German (Kugler), but wasn't done at Ellis Island...the Kooglers were in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia in the early 1800's.  On that same side (father), I'm of Clan Morrison.  On my mother's side, the Brooks family arrived in 1607 on the Susan Constant in Jamestown.  The Cannons (of Ireland...O'Kennon, we think) arrived later, around 1800, though maybe earlier.    That's one of the things I'd like to do when I retire in a couple of years...find out more information about the family.  There is a story that my father's mother used to tell about our being related, through the Lambs, to the Lees of Virginia, specifically "Marse Robert"...though I suspect there may be some stretching of the truth here.  She claimed that she remembered her mother telling her of visiting Stratford and being given a ride on Traveler (Lee's horse...for the Yankees and others amongst you!).

Kiri