[Sca-cooks] Yankees, Hash, and Beets, was and still is: Winter comfort food...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 6 18:37:27 PST 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 9:05 PM, marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

>>  From what I've seen, the basic "original" formula involves salt
>> pork, onions, seafood (various), crushed biscuit and water or other
>> liquid, generally layered in a large pot somewhat like an Irish
>> stew.  Additions are probably the result of whatever one is more
>> likely to  find in a given region's kitchen, and my suspicion is
>> that good  tomatoes (or even tomato products) were probably more
>> common in Rhode  Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts kitchens than
>> in Maine ones.
>>
>> Adamantius
>
> That's possible, Adamantius, but I quite honestly haven't had a
> decent tomato
> since I moved up here, other than those fed to me by neighbors at
> Pennsic,
> who grew them (organicly) in PA. Even the ones I tried to grow last
> summer
> never ripened.

Well, I'd posit that "decent" is to some extent a matter of opinion,
and when it comes to growing them at all, I'd say there's probably a
reason why the milk-and-cream-and-no-tomatoes versions seem to come
from Maine (which, BTW, is also a known potato heartland).

I got a total of one good tomato (bitten, exactly once, by a squirrel
just for spite) out of our balcony tomato plant, but it's a
northwestern exposure. Lots of excellent chili peppers, though.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04