[Sca-cooks] Today's Comfort Food

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Wed Dec 7 19:36:00 PST 2005

Well, the chowder conversation got me thinking yesterday, so today, I decided
to make some. Initially, I had intended to make just a corn and potato
chowder, but when I mentioned my intentions to Margali, she told me to pick
up some of those itty bitty frozen salad shrimp (9 zillion to a lb).

So, first I boiled a couple of large baking potatoes and a large carrot, skin
on. When they were tender, I peeled them (Easier to do than it sounds, even
hot, and boiling them skin on retains the flavor in the bits, which is what I
wanted).

1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour
Med onion, chopped
Potatoes, diced
Carrot, diced very finely
2 15 oz? cans of creamed corn
1 lb of teensy cooked shrimp
Milk to cover
Salt and pepper (white, if you have it) to taste.

Melt butter, and add flour, stirring into a roux. When flour is no longer
raw, add onions, and sweat until translucent (Thank you, A, for reminding me
of the words for what I do). Drop in vegetables and shrimp, and add milk to
cover. Salt and pepper.

Bring to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the roux decides to thicken the
milk, and serve.

Served it with Oatmeal raisin bread. Margali's folks gave them a bread
machine when they went up for T'day, so we've been experimenting with
recipes. Unfortunately, the recipe book that came with the machine
disappeared a couple days ago, so we've been finding recipes on the 'Net (and
I've been playing with them a bit), and this one worked very well. It's from
King Arthur Flour.

Basic recipe:

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Bread
 Ingredient List:

1 cup of water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 cups Bread Machine flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 tablespoons dry milk
1.5 teaspoon salt
2.75 teaspoons regular active dry yeast OR
2.25 teaspoons bread machine or quick-acting active dry yeast
Bake on Sweet Bread cycle

Due to availability, I used regular all-purpose flour, and in addition to the
oats, I added a 40 g packet of Kashi "Go Lean" Instant hot cereal with
clusters- honey and cinnamon flavor, and, when it beeped to tell me it was
time to add STUPH (part of its cycle) I added a couple handfuls of raisins. I
was concerned that it might wind up a little dry, since I added  the cereal
and raisins without adding any extra water, but it had what I consider a
perfect, chewy texture.

So, that's the suffering you guys made me go through for dinner, with all
your talk of comfort foods- oh, woe is me ;-)

Phlip