[Sca-cooks] Lebkuchen question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 9 18:45:11 PST 2005

The earliest recipes I have for Lebkuchen are in Sabina Welser.  The
original text refers to Lebkuchen as Lezelten, which suggests to me Lese
meaning harvest of gathering.  If I am correct in this linguistic
assumption, then Lebkuchen was a harvest treat that probably oozed over into
the High Holy Days.  It also makes me believe that Lebkuchen derives from
lebbe (sweet) rather than libum and that the derivation may be more modern
than we think.

While Welser is mid-16th Century, Lebkuchen is probably quite a bit older.
It is very similar to the honey pepper cakes that became the modern panforte
and are referenced in the early 13th Century.  Since early Lebkuchen can be
connected with southern Germany, it may be that the origin is in the
panforte of Siena.

I suspect that these boiled honey cakes are quite a bit older than either
Lebkuchen and panforte and probably have their origin in some of the
celebratory offering cakes made in Ancient Greece.  However, chasing down
any evidence is likely to be a full-time project.

Bear