[Sca-cooks] It Sounds Like...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Dec 10 05:26:09 PST 2005

On Dec 10, 2005, at 6:35 AM, Elise Fleming wrote:

> Greetings!  I want to preface this by saying that I'm not intending to
> correct a person but I'm curious about terminology used in other
> parts of
> the US.  And, I've been curious about words in print that sound
> similar but
> have wildly different meanings.  'Twas written:
>
>> Thanks! My, they are expensive boogers, aren't they?
>
> Only on the second pass did I notice "boogers" which has around
> here been
> used for the "snot" expelled from one's nose.  I was pretty certain
> that
> "buggers" was meant and got curious about the pronunciation of "oo"
> and "u"
> (which to me here is "uhhh".  From a food content, I'd rather a
> "bug..."
>
> Alys Katharine, being pedantic

There's a similar pronunciation shift found in referring to the
monster that lives in your bedroom closet or under your bed when
you're a child -- the Bogey Man has, at some point, become the Boogie
Man (talk about yer Danse Macabre!).

Conversely, I've been interested to note that in the film versions of
the Harry Potter novels, what in the US would be called "boogers" are
known as "bogeys" -- a term with which I was unfamiliar in that
context, but whose meaning was fairly obvious. I don't think the term
appears in the U.S. editions of the novels my son owns. Perhaps the
Evil Patronizing Publishers Pandering To The Ignorance of American
Children (tm) have acted to prevent said ignorant children from
thinking the stuff on Harry's wand was either Humphrey Bogart, a
ghost, or an incoming enemy aircraft.

I'm put in mind of the "boogers and haints" of the Appalachians as a
possible source, but I'm more inclined to suspect it's ultimately a
euphemism for another euphemism for "bastard", as in, the rust-frozen
bolt you have to loosen on the underside of your car, but can't
_quite_ reach the vicious, unholy little bastard. People have been
known to use "bugger" as a euphemism (ignoring the fact that that
term is more offensive to some, given one of its meanings, than the
term it is replacing). "Booger" may be an intentional or
unintentional shift away from that particular meaning of "bugger".

Of course, around here you rarely hear about expensive little boogers
_or_ buggers anyway ;-)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782