[Sca-cooks] It Sounds Like...

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 05:59:32 PST 2005

Around here, it is much more common to hear "boogers" than "buggers" in that context.  I would suppose it is an evolutin of "bugger" but because of the negative connotation of "bugger' Southern boys changed the sound a bit so they could use it in mixed company.  Just as they changed "damn" to "dang".

  Mordonna

Elise Fleming <alysk at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
  Greetings! I want to preface this by saying that I'm not intending to
correct a person but I'm curious about terminology used in other parts of
the US. And, I've been curious about words in print that sound similar but
have wildly different meanings. 'Twas written:

>Thanks! My, they are expensive boogers, aren't they?

Only on the second pass did I notice "boogers" which has around here been
used for the "snot" expelled from one's nose. I was pretty certain that
"buggers" was meant and got curious about the pronunciation of "oo" and "u"
(which to me here is "uhhh". From a food content, I'd rather a "bug..."

Alys Katharine, being pedantic

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/