[Sca-cooks] Lebkuchen question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 10 11:26:29 PST 2005

You are looking at the English translation, wherein Valois Armstrong uses
the modern term Lebkuchen to describe what is being prepared.  In the
original text, the recipes are:

151  Lezelten zu bachen  (mod. trans.  Lebkuchen backen)

163  Lezelten zu bachen niernberger  (mod. trans.  Nurnberger Lebkuchen
backen)

164  Ain grossen niernberger lezelten  (mod. trans.  Ein grosser Nurnberger
Lebkuchen)

I'm using von Hugo Stopp's transcription of the original text with modern
German translation for this information.

While digging through the Oxford Companion to Food, you might also want to
take a look at the entry on honey cakes.  The articles are interesting, but
not particularly useful in trying to work out the history of the dish.  (I
would prefer a few more source references).

Bear