[Sca-cooks] Vegetarians and Fish, was Christmas Plans (Was Cake Sotelties)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Dec 10 17:14:10 PST 2005

On Dec 10, 2005, at 7:41 PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> Interesting about eggs.  I can understand not eating fertilized
> eggs, but hens lay eggs whether or not they have been with
> a rooster and most eggs you buy in the supermarket haven't
> even come close to being fertilized.  How would eating an
> unfertilized egg be killing a potential living creature?
>
> Huette

While I agree (in that an unfertilized egg is a cell, not an
organism), I guess it depends on how you interpret the word
"potential". I suppose you can say that an unfertilized egg is much
more of a potential living creature than, say, a paper clip or a
rock. But then, discussions like this are rarely about making
sense... ultimately, it's one of those "de gustibus non est
disputandum" things.

Adamantius