[Sca-cooks] Pelican Killed in House Fire

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Tue Dec 13 02:00:44 PST 2005

>A house fire swept through a home in Willow, Alaska on Monday,
>December 5, 2005, killing Mistress Pia Dragonsaver, Pel. (Laurie
>McCutcheon).
>
>McCutcheon, 49, was a respected member of the emergency services
>community, a former Mat-Su Borough medic, and ambulance service chief
>for a few years.
>
>Mistress Pia (or Piasa) Dragonsaver was a member of the Order of the
>Pelican, etc.
>
>For more information, see www.SCAtoday.net
>
>I am checking with the Baron & Baroness to see if the family needs
>any help. Stay tuned.
>
>Vallawulf

I knew Piasa for more than 20 years. She was my Society daughter, a
member of my household, and my protege (shared with Berengaria de
Montfort of Carcasonne) before she was elevated. However, she had a
wise soul, far older than her years would indicate, and she taught me
far more than I could ever teach her. She will be missed. The
memorial service was yesterday, with approximately 350 gathering from
the SCA, her EMT/emergency services crowd with whom she worked for
many years before failing health prevented her, and members of the
community.

She is survived by her life partner Bryan, daughter Shastaine de
Montfort (Kel Murphy) and her husband and stepson, and assorted
modern family. Her ashes will be scattered sometime this summer. I do
not think the family needs anything specific, although in lieu of
flowers, memorial donations may be made to any branch of the
Matanuska Valley Federal Credit Union, although I don't know exactly
why (defray cremation costs, replace some household items for Bryan,
etc.). If anyone wishes to donate, please contact me offlist and I'll
get info to you.

Tip a glass if you wish to her memory and those left behind to miss
her, and live life as full as you can. That's what Piasa would want
(G).

Morgana yr Oerfa