[Sca-cooks] Re: Sicilian pizza

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 10:04:28 PST 2005

>Hot dogs on the pizza? Well, I see why my uncle's pizza-making skills are
>simply horrific. ;-)
>
>Gianotta

Well, imagine the impact it made on a bunch of dumb American GI's new
to the country when they went into a restaurant and just pointed at
the menu that said "pizza". There were ashes and eggs and pools of
oil. Little blotches of melted cheese. They were shocked.
After a while the places the GI's frequented started to offer "Pizza
American"
which was extra cheese, ham, mushrooms and no oil.
My buddies almost fainted one time when I ordered the Pizza de Mare and
it had little baby octopi on it.

Pepperoni was big thick slices and they seemed confused at even putting
it on a pizza. Us weird foreigners.

I never made it up to Palermo so I was unfamiliar with the crumble dish.

Gunthar